Saturday, March 17, 2007

Hemming's Invitation

Richard Lentinello, editor of Hemmings Classic Car magazine invited me to show the cabriolet at their invitational only concours car show this July in Vermont. After thinking it over, I decided to decline the opportunity. Here's what I said:

I really appreciate this invitation Richard, but after reading more about the event on the HMN website, it really doesn't feel like the right venue for this car. I say that for several reasons, including:

• This was a low priced car to start with, and the base model to boot. Even dressed up, it is no match for the kind of higher end cars this show will feature.

• Probably more importantly, I did not restore it to concours condition. My goal was to restore it to as close to factory original as I could get it, and I think I succeeded in that, but it is not over restored in the way concours cars are. I'm glad people are doing museum quality restorations, but that's not the world I live in. I restored this car to drive and have fun with, not show competitively. As such, it will pale in comparison to any over restored, always trailered car.

So much for my brush with the show car culture - just ain't me. If you're not a reader of Classic Car, pick up an issue. I think it is the best old car publication out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home